Re: Strange init 3 behavior,

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 16:31 -0500, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   Has any one seen this behavior on FC4 systems, and know what to do about
>  it?
>
>  You go into a text terminal and wan to change to
>  init level 3, so you execute the command init 3. The machine hangs. (more about
>  this later)
>
>  So just to try something you enter init 1 instead of init 3. The machine
>  goes to init level 1. Aha you say. I know what to do and you type init 3
>  The machine not to be bested by a mere user changes to init
>  level 5.
>
>  A kind of work around>
>
>  If you go into a terminal and you  type init 3 and it
>  hangs in various places depending on how long you wait and whether you hit
>  return. Now you hit ctrl-alt-f7 the screen goes black. You then hit
>  ctl-alt-f1 and eureka you are in init level 3. Is that obscure enough a
>  procedure for you. I tried this on three  machines and it worked
>  every time.
>
>  What is happening here? Does any one know?
>

> --

> I hope you're not pretending to be evil while secretly being good.
> That would be dishonest.
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> telephone: (210)-999-7484

Aaron,

Does hitting return in the virtual terminal return a prompt after you
enter runlevel 3?

I have seen what you describe on FC3.  I think the prompt after typing
init 3 is getting lost.  I just reproduced it on an x86_64 machine and I
see on an i386 machine as well.  Maybe a bug report is in order.

Bob...