Re: FC4 Ready for primt time?

On 8/29/05, Joey <Joey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running FC3 for a long time and really haven't had any issues,
> but when setting up FC4 from scratch or upgrading an FC3 to FC4 system I am
> running into all kinds of problems and issues.
>
> The firs thing I see is that running basic bash scripts takes forever, and
> after rebooting the system performance is overall crawling.
> Eventually it seems to finish whatever it is doing and get around to it, but
> it's not something I want to run under with these types of issues.
> Additionally certain services seem to not run automatically even though they
> are set to ( verified with chkconfig ).
>
> I want to upgrade our servers and impliment new servers under FC4, however
> if it's not ready for prime time, I will have to continue with FC3.
>
> Can anyone elaborate?

FC4 is meant to be ready and it works fine for thousands of people.
But it's unsupported software, not really intended for production
server work, although many of us use it that way. Basically, some
people will have trouble with it, and you seem to be one of the
unlucky ones.

When you ask a question like yours on this list, you're very likely to
get a bunch of people saying "it works fine for me!" and a bunch of
other people sharing stories of all the trouble they've had with FC4.
I wouldn't upgrade a server based on hearsay like that.

Instead, you should write in to the list with the specific problems
you're having, and see if you can get them sorted out. If you get
enough of them sorted out, maybe you'll start feeling more comfortable
with FC4, and then you might be ready to upgrade.