Strange init 3 behavior,

 Has any one seen this behavior on FC4 systems, and know what to do about
 it?

 You go into a text terminal and wan to change to
 init level 3, so you execute the command init 3. The machine hangs. (more about
 this later)

 So just to try something you enter init 1 instead of init 3. The machine
 goes to init level 1. Aha you say. I know what to do and you type init 3
 The machine not to be bested by a mere user changes to init
 level 5.

 A kind of work around>

 If you go into a terminal and you  type init 3 and it
 hangs in various places depending on how long you wait and whether you hit
 return. Now you hit ctrl-alt-f7 the screen goes black. You then hit
 ctl-alt-f1 and eureka you are in init level 3. Is that obscure enough a
 procedure for you. I tried this on three  machines and it worked
 every time.

 What is happening here? Does any one know?

I hope you're not pretending to be evil while secretly being good.
That would be dishonest.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University