Re: ATI Livna driver package

On Monday 29 August 2005 11:46 am, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 01:14 -0400 schrieb Claude Jones:
> > I just downloaded and installed the new kernel, and rebooted. No problem.
> > During reboot, I got the expected message that my NTFS driver failed to
> > load because of the missing kernel-module. I was expecting a similar
> > message from ati-fglrx but no, no message. When I go to system
> > settings/more system settings and click on the ATI-fglrx settings, the
> > GUI opens right up - in times past, I would get the missing kernel-module
> > message on reboot for ATI-fglrx
>
> This should still be the case. If not check if /etc/init.d/ati-fglrx is
> still enabled. If yes, then please post the output of
>
> /etc/init.d/ati-fglrx start
> /etc/init.d/ati-fglrx stop

[root@viewridgeproductions cj]# chkconfig --list ati-fglrx
ati-fglrx       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root@viewridgeproductions cj]# /etc/init.d/ati-fglrx start
Checking for ati-fglrx kernel module                       [FAILED]

fglrx.ko module for 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 kernel not found
DRI will not work within X with the ati-fglrx driver. Get
an updated/suitable 'kernel-module-fglrx-<kernelver>' rpm
from rpm.livna.org
[root@viewridgeproductions cj]# /etc/init.d/ati-fglrx stop

> >  and the settings GUI wouldn't open or would open with errors.
>
> Maybe ATI changed something and it works now without the kernel-module?

[root@viewridgeproductions cj]# service ati-fglrx status
Init-Script is not running.
fglrx driver is enabled.

I opened the GUI and manipulated the color sliders, and they definitely
adjusted the screen???
> >  What
> > gives - did I miss something? Is an updated kernel module no longer
> > necessary for the ATI driver from Livna?
>
> The X-Server will work fine without the kernel-module (a updated modules
> hopefully are pushed soon), but 3D-Support won't work.

This I knew. I was puzzled by the lack of messages on boot-up. I still am...
Could the ATI GUI be adjusting the video even if the fglrx driver is not
running?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA