Re: local imap server using fetchmail

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Mo, den 29.08.2005 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 15:52:

After reading some example commands on how to connect to the imap server I did use that command once I telneted to the server and found that I was not able to log in. Upon talking with some others I found that my sasl service was not started. Once I started that I was able to log into the imap

Yes, Craig pointed you to SASL configuration and mentioned the
saslauthd.

server using the above command with no problem. No I am at the point where Im ready to try and configure fetchmail to download the mail and drop in in ~/Maildir. Once again I know nothing about

Do not try to use "~/Maildir" in any way when operating with
Cyrus-IMAPd! This IMAP/POP3 server stores the mail his own and will not
know about any mail which is not managed by him and inside his data
structure.

fetchmail so I am looking fo really good documentation on how to do this while Im messing around with it.

man fetchmail          it really is a very verbose manpage

I am not sure you want let fetchmail feed mail into Cyrus-IMAPd
directly. I think it is a better solution to let fetchmail handover the
fetched mail to a locally running MTA (which is the default operation
method of fetchmail), which then will hand it over to the IMAP server.
Though you can let fetchmail communicate with the IMAP server directly.
That can be done by either using the "--smtp <host>" instruction, which
(like documented in the manpage) used by setting <host> as an LMTP
socket - here: /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp - will let fetchmail speak
LMTP. The other configuration option is to use "--mda <command>" with
exchanging <command> by the Cyrus-IMAPd deliver command and parameters.

Alexander

I am all for getting things to work as they were intended to so if its intended for fetchmail to hand over mail to the local MTA then Im all for it. I definitely don't want to complicate things. So if my theory is correct, my IMAP server is running and I am now able to log in (thanx to Craig), and I now need to start fetchmail and then check mail vial my mail client? One thing I am having a hard time grasping is my log in from the client.

Right now my settings are set to my <localusername>@localhost and my IMAP server is set to localhost and my SMTP server is set to sendmail(using evolution). Is that correct since fetchmail is set to fetch my gmail account? or does my mail client also need to be set to my gmail account seetings with the IMAP server set to localhost?