Re: local imap server using fetchmail

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Mo, den 29.08.2005 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 4:59:

the the IMAP server but I can't seem to connect to it with my client. When I connect to it via telnet I get the following response:

[lmcilwain@localhost ~]$ telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK localhost.localdomain Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-6.fc4 server ready

But when I try to connect to localhost via my mail client it tells me that its a failed connection after specifying my password.

Whats so weird is that I didn't specify a password to telnet to it via the command prompt. Any ideas of what I maybe doing wrong?

What you paste above does not show a successful IMAP login. I think you
got that wrong. It only shows the greeting message by Cyrus-IMAPd.
Running a manual IMAP connection through telnet following would have to
follow to proceed with authentication:

01 login <user> <password>

Then the IMAP server would tell you whether it accepts you by the given
auth data or not.

Alexander

After reading some example commands on how to connect to the imap server I did use that command once I telneted to the server and found that I was not able to log in. Upon talking with some others I found that my sasl service was not started. Once I started that I was able to log into the imap server using the above command with no problem. No I am at the point where Im ready to try and configure fetchmail to download the mail and drop in in ~/Maildir. Once again I know nothing about fetchmail so I am looking fo really good documentation on how to do this while Im messing around with it.