Re: Share internet connection/make a small server

http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-04/networknirvana_01.html

> What are the contents of
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> and /etc/sysconfig/network ?

[olivares@rio ~]$ cat
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
BROADCAST=10.154.23.255
IPADDR=10.154.17.34
NETMASK=255.255.248.0
NETWORK=10.154.16.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
HWADDR=00:50:2c:a6:19:28
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=10.154.16.1
IPV6INIT=no
[olivares@rio ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=rio
[olivares@rio ~]$

> That is where you enable the necessary settings for
> hostname, gateway,
> etc when doing static IPs, and the settings are
> different to use dhcp.
>
> > but I am not sure how to begin.  I have not placed
> the
> > nic card yet on the machine but I will do so
> tomorrow.
> >  The machine has Fedora Core 3 with an everything
> > install.  What do I need to setup a mini dhcp
> server
> > from this machine?
> >

> Right now you are trying to set up a dhcp client so
> this machine has
> access to the internet via eth0.  A dhcp server is
> also simple, but is
> not a factor in the problem you are describing.
>
> When you set up the dhcp server you will need to
> restrict it to
> answering only on the appropriate interface and set
> the appropriate
> address range.  You will also have a routing issue
> to handle.
>
> Adding a second nic may have some surprises.  It may
> get the name eth0
> and the existing one may become eth1, depending on
> the order devices are
> probed.

I have added the second nic.  The system detects it as
eth1.  Thanks Jeff for replying.  Now, I will try some
of the reading that I previously did and if I get
stuck will ask for more advice/help.

Kind Regards,

Antonio