Re: FC4 installation

> On Monday 29 August 2005 14:27, Nirav Parikh wrote:
> > I am trying to install FC4. The machine got 4X 200gb hard disks, 4 gb Ram
> > and  Rocket Raid 1820A controller install on it.
> >
> > First I created raid 10 through Bios so now it got 400gb and then provided
> > raid driver during installation. When I do the automatic partition during
> > installation it gives me error. I don't have much experience with Linux.For
> > Manual Partition -  Can anybody tell me what partitions do I need to create
> > and their sizes? I want to use this server to run our internal website
> > which is using PHP/Postgress and as file-server for the network.

If you get an error with automatic partitioning there is a good chance
to get the same error with manual partitioning.

About partitioning: you might get a lot of different recommendations. MY
one is:

Partition 1 about 50 mb for  /boot
Partition 2 about  4 gb for swap (it may to to big, but doesn't
                                  hurt in your case of 400 gb)
Partition 2 (the rest) for lvm (Vg0)

In lvm:

at minimum:

about 10 - 20 gb for  /
rest for              /home

If it is a production grade server, you may provide separate partitions
for user space and log files to prevent logs and user data to fil import
system space.

If you will provide shared directories (beside the home dir for each
user), you will have find a place for it,  (/export or /svr/export) and
make a separate partition for it.

Prostgres stores its files in /var/lib/pgsql by default. If you store
importat data or make heavy use of it, you may make a separate
partition, too.

Eventually you should make a separate partition for /tmp, too

a separate /var/log  if it is a production server, about 3 gb

leave 50 gb or so unallocated, so you can add space to partitions as
needed (that's the beauty of lvm)

Peter