Re: local imap server using fetchmail

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:55 -0400, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
> I have installed fetchmail and cyrus imap rpms on my machine in the
> hopes to be able to configure them so that I can run a local imap
> server that downloads my remote e mail and then serves it via IMAP on
> my local machine.

I've done something similar, all I had to do was set up fetchmail to
poll the remote server and deliver it to a local user.  My
~/.fetchmailrc file is full of lines like this:

poll mail.example.com proto pop3 user "remoteusername", with password
secretstuff, is "tim" here;

That's all one long line, starting with the remote mailbox details,
ending with the local username.  I have lines in my /etc/rc.local script
for each user, like the following, so each bootup starts fetchmail
running in the background bringing in the mail every 900 seconds:

su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

And that's it, as far as bringing mail into the system.  After that,
you've just got to set up your local mail server so that you can access
it with whatever mail programs you want to use.  Depending on your
system, you mightn't need to set up anything to allow that.

I read messages from the public lists.