Re: OT - my domain must have become a spammer's source

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 08:17 -0700, Lokrin wrote:
> David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> > Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 11:13 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> >>

> >> You do have to be careful with your analysis.  Sometimes the *last* one
> >> is the spammer, preloading the headers by routing their mail through
> >> their own, or other systems.  You don't want to complain to the spammer
> >> about their spam.
> >>
> >> -- Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
> >> read messages from the public lists.
> >>
> > At one time, SpamCop provided a service to parse spam e-mail headers and
> > anonymously contact the ultimate sender's ISP.  Not sure if SpamCop
> > still provides this service or even still exists.
> > Their service was more useful back in the days when spammers didn't use
> > zombies since SpamCop also provided a RBL for those who wouldn't stop
> > spamming.  These days SpamCop can't blacklist someone like AOL so the
> > best thing that happens is the ISP blocks outbound port 25 traffic from
> > the zombie which just means the spammer moves to their next zombie.
> >
> > I see a handful of these from time to time.  Nothing as severe as what
> > you're seeing.  Just bounces in my inbox of e-mails I didn't send.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
> >
> Yeah, Spamcop still exists.  I also have several people using my domain name for
> sending their spam.  My ISP says that it is a common practice (email spoofing)
> and they won't punish me in any way for it.  I get about 500 bounces a day and
> just have them automatically rejected via spam assassin.
----
since about 9:00 pm last night (approximately 18.5 hours ago), I have
gotten over 3000 'bounces' - that's quite a bit. The ones that include a
copy of the original email get parsed by spamassassin, tagged and put
into a SPAMBOX. The ones that don't include a copy of the original email
now fall through to a collection folder. That seems like a lot of
bounces in less than 24 hours - I've been keeping them to get a 24 hour
count.  ;-)

Craig