Re: Updates are unstoppable!

On Sunday 28 August 2005 22:43, Webmaster wrote:
> We have not been able to determine how a hacker was eble to crack one of
> our hosts
> and deposit binaries on all the hosts in our network (all hosts are FC3).

> Modified:

> "/usr/bin/411toppm"
>..
> "/usr/bin/zeisstopnm"

I fear you have been cracked by that dastardly evil cracker known to his IRC
buddies as "yum".

At a cursory glance, all of these listed apps seem to belong to the netpbm
package.

That was updated by Redhat a week or two ago... if you did a yum update or you
run the yum autoupdate service, then that will explain the mysterious changes
to your netpbm-related apps.... it's just an update.

tail /var/log/yum.log
rpm -q --last netpbm

might help put your mind at rest on this troublesome "break-in".

-Andy