Re: The Best Partitioning for Web servers

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 22:48, CHAT KHODA wrote:
> Dear Les,
> Thank you for replying,
> You advised to consider /var on a seperate disk,but
> what about others ?
> I assume that we have to consider at least 60G for
> websites and probably we are going to place them in
> /www. What is your idea ? is it better to consider a
> seperate partition for that ? our I can implement it
> under the / ?
> in this case we will have :
> / ~= 78G (HDA)
> Swap ~= 2G (HDA)
> Boot = 200MB (HDA)
> /var = 10G (HDB)
> What is your suggestion ?

Most of those don't really matter as long as you have
sufficient space.  It is good to have /boot as a small
partition and the first one on the drive. It is also
good to separate areas that are frequently written from
those that aren't to help reduce fragmentation.  Other
than that it boils down to disk head contention.  If
you can put your swap partion and /var/log on separate
drives you can help performance by not having to do
disk seek away from what you are reading to access them
(disk seeks are much slower than any other operation).
If they have to be on the same physical disk, then the
partitioning doesn't matter that much.  You might also
want to be aware of whether the web sites use files
or database connections to maintain state information
or cache dynamic pages and keep that activity away from
the log files.  However if you have plenty of RAM, you
don't have to worry so much about tuning the disk locations
because more will be buffered in the disk cache.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx