Re: PCAnywhere in Linux

On Sunday 28 August 2005 09:59, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 21:17, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Is there any similar program like PCAnywhere in Linux?
> > I'd like to connect to a remote Linux desktop screen using phone line and
> > modem.
>
> If you want a text mode login over a modem you can use mgetty.  If you
> want Xwindows you'll need to do a ppp connection with the modem - not
> necessarily directly to the host - just somewhere able to connect
> over tcp.  Then you would run vncviewer on the client side and
> have the option on the server of starting an independent screen
> with Xvnc (use the vncserver script to start it before you need
> the connection), letting xinetd start fresh sessions for each
> connection, or you can enable the vnc capability in the console
> session so you can pick up the running screen remotely.
>
> Or you can do a ppp connection, followed by an ssh connection
> to get a text mode login over tcp.
Thanks.
That's what I setup right now. I connect to a winxp box running PCAnywhere and
then from there connect to the linux box using vnc. But I really want to get
rid of the winxp box and do the modem connection to linux directly.

--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
10:22:54 up 15:55, 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 GNU/Linux