Re: ATI propriety driver: no 3D

Markku Kolkka wrote:

Markku Kolkka kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 21. elokuuta 2005 14:28):
A.J. Bonnema kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 21.

elokuuta 2005 05:35):
Thank you for the tip. I was able to yum install
ati-fglrx.x86_64 from livna.
That's the old driver version, 8.14.13. The new 8.16.20
drivers aren't yet available from livna.

Sorry, I was posting based on stale cahced info, the 8.16.20 are now in the repo. X800 series cards are supported according to the ATI release notes, so the problem is elsewhere. Did you install the kernel-module-fglrx-`uname -r` package?
Ahh yes, that was the problem: I should have recounted it her. I found out by accident, because a bootup screen stalled, so that I could actually *read* the messages -- and this was one of them. I have been using Torcs and FreedroidRPG for while now and it works extremely well. Thanks for your hint.

What I wondered about though is some messages during bootup don't appear in any log. This particular message scrolled by so fast, that usually I could not read it. Only one time, for some reason it stalled, so I read the message and I immediately went looking for the kernel-module, I found it, installed it, reboot and it worked! That was real nice!

Ok, so the question is:

1. Why don't all messages during bootup appear in some log?
I have searched the logs, like dmesg, message.log and XOrg.0.log, but nothing was there. The only file I could not search, because it was too big was lastlog. Does anyone know how to search a file for which grep reports a memory error? 2. Why are the two driver-packages ati-fglrx and kernel-module-fglrx not dependent on each other?
   I am probably not the first one to be ignorent of this connection.

Guus  - I know, so much questions, so little time......

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)