Re: inittab LOST

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 12:41 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> By default run level 3 is defined as text mode, multi-user
> Run level 5 is graphical mode, multi-user
>
> You can configure it any way you choose, but there is no need. Only
> one
> run level is used at any given time.  If you change from the defaults
> there may be a time when you wish you had it configured plain-vanilla
> so
> those trying to help know the conditions and can offer advice.

I seem to recall that run level 4 has no common use, so if one wanted to
make a customised, and different, set of services to run occasionally,
I'd be modifying run level four (and letting it start X, if you so
desire).  Run level 4 seems to be some kind of no-man's land between 3
and 5.

I read messages from the public lists.