Re: Orinoco driver, NetworkManager

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 12:31 -0400, Emily Brantley wrote:
> i'd love to use NetworkManager, i really would, but is it possible ?  i
> use a wireless card (a Linksys "Instant Wireless" Card version 3) which
> uses the orinoco driver.
>
> the NetworkManagerDispatch service runs normally, but running
> NetworkManager itself seems impossible.
>
> # service NetworkManager status
> NetworkManager dead but pid file exists
>
> further, if i run NetworkManagerInfo, it quits immediately.  has anyone
> been able to get NetworkManager working with an orinoco card ?

Hi Emily, I am in the same position as you. You should check the archive
of the NetworkManager list:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/

especially the first couple of months. The problem is not with
NetworkManager but with the Orinoco driver itself. It doesn't currently
support scanning (see for yourself: try "/sbin/iwlist <dev> scan") which
means that NetworkManager can't do anything with it. The orinoco driver
is under development to add the required features, and I believe the cvs
version of it works with NM. Basically, either get a different wireless
card or wait for the new driver.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com