Re: selinux, unlabeled files, apache, etc.

At 10:54 PM -0500 8/26/05, M. Lewis wrote:
>Walter Petrel wrote:
>> After upgrading from RH9 to FC4 (and opting for selinux), I followed the
>>Fedora instructions on enabling user directories again, setting up the se
>>context and all that, but no good -- I still get the 403's.
>>
>> I have a hunch it is due to the way I upgraded the system. Maybe some
>>will say it's laziness, but I left /home as it was before (i.e.
>>unformatted). As a result, I see that /home/xyz has no selinux label.
>>Will that screw up apache? (The selinux faq for FC3 talks about potential
>>trouble if you turn off selinux, create new files and then turn it back
>>on.)
>>
>> Is there a way to label all the unabled files? Then I could give all
>>files in home the user_home_t label, and then relabel the userdir for
>>httpd. chcon won't work on /home/xyz because it tells me the file is
>>unlabeled.
>>
>> Is there some other obvious trouble I might be in because I didn't let
>>the installer write over /home?
>>
>> tia

>I think what you're looking for might be
>touch /.autorelabel  <as root>
>Then reboot.
>

>The trouble you might have (along with other things maybe) is the config
>files that are found in the ~/.kde directory (I don't use Gnome, but I
>would expect similar problems). If you rename the directory (.kde ->
>origkde) and let KDE recreate everything, you should be fine.

Relabeling is good.  After relabeling, look for files with .rpmnew or
.rpmold in their name (use locate or find or some such).  Compare them with
their corresponding un-suffixed file (which is the one being used) and
merge any necessary changes into the unsuffixed file, e.g.:

    $ diff /etc/vimrc /etc/vimrc.rpmnew
    $

(which in this case will report no differences, as the files are always the
same).