Re: Changing the yum's repositories

Paul Smith wrote:

On 8/27/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How can one change the yum's repositories?

Check this out
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/

Thanks, Rahul. I have read the whole document, but it cannot answer my
question. For instance, how can I change the extras repository? I have
tried kyum, but I do not know the syntax very well, as I am a novice
user of Fedora, coming from Mandriva.
Not sure what you want to change in the repository files. The above guide has bits and pieces about the yum configuration files. If you prefer a GUI, use yumex or kyum from the extras repository

#yum install yumex kyum

Here is more details.

Previous versions of yum had a single configuration in /etc/yum.conf where all the repositories and yum configuration options were stored. This was determined to be tedious to manage for users and it was hard for new repositories to be added by packages. Now the main configuration in in /etc/yum.conf and the repositories are in /etc/yum.repos.d. Each of the repository files end with the extension ".repo" and are generally named after the repository information they hold. The extras repository is available for FC3 and FC4. For FC4, it is enabled by default and the information is in the file /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo.

More information about Fedora Extras is available from
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#id2502937

regards
Rahul