Re: grub segmentation fault on RAID 1 lvm

shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Friday, August 26, 2005 6:28 PM, Craig White wrote:

Nothing wrong with lilo - grub seems to work better.

This is not so true with RAID.  Grub does not support it like lilo does.
In fact, my experience is that grub-install does not work with RAID1
/boot partitions at all out of the box.  With lilo, it will
automatically make the mirrors of RAID 1 both bootable and active with a
boot image after lilo is executed.  You can literally kill either drive
and still be able to boot into the degraded one.  In order to do this
with grub, the boot image must be installed onto both drives manually,
or it must be patched as Bill described.

I think that there are thousands of people successfully running Fedora and a few people that are struggling can mislead others into thinking that there are some problematic issues with the defaults but typically, they have varied from the defaults.

No one is being misled here.  In fact, my implementation only uses
stable Fedora rpms from the base and update repositories.  David is
implementing a good solution.  I was using lilo on both FC1 and FC2
without problems.  In fact, it never really made much sense to me for
Fedora to offer RAID during the install and then not provide a valid
RAID-compatible boot image automatically across all drives (it did on
FC1 because lilo was still an option). Maybe grub2 will prove more
promising.

--

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn.  "Couldn't have said it better myself."

I mainly wanted to point out that lilo supports RAID 1 *natively*. No fuss, no custom scripts, etc.; it "just works." If someone is a grub developer and they want to help implement software RAID support in grub, they should have at it. On the other hand, if someone wants a simple, easy to install and maintain implementation of software RAID for Fedora, they should use lilo for their boot loader; not grub. The current incarnation of grub doesn't inherently support software RAID and that support needs to be there if folks like Fedora are going to offer lvm and RAID 1 as an install option for /boot. Sadly, lots of people out there with stock installs of Fedora probably think that their system will survive a hit to their system disk because they think that software RAID 1 will keep it running.

When I installed the system I copied my lilo.conf from I performed the following test: in turn, I unplugged each drive's IDE ribbon cable and then powered up the system. lilo performed flawlessly brining up the system in "degraded mode" regardless of which of the two disks in the mirror set was available and with no user intervention. This was with no special preparation on my part other than simply configuring lilo to use /dev/md* as needed. Again, lilo just works.

BTW, the box I copied my lilo.conf from is running White Box Linux; not FC 1 or 2. It's my server so I want stable. Also, since it's my server, I don't want or need a lot of grub's features on this system since I would consider almost *any* of the boot interventions grub allows to mean the system has significant problems and needs to be "fixed." On the other hand, grub works great on my HP notebook with FC4 x86_64 since it allows me to easily mess with the boot parameters (which is needed on an all too frequent basis).

Cheers,
Dave