Re: How to disable alsa's dmix plugin?

Mariano Draghi wrote:
Hi,

I'm having lots of problem with the 5.1 analog output of my crappy intel8x0 soundcard. Everything works just fine as regards stereo streams, but whenever I try to play a 5.1 stream (like a DVD), specifically with xine, I got a message telling me the audio device is unavailable.

I asked about this in the xine-list, and someone suggested trying disabling "dmix" in alsa, if I was using it. I didn't know if I was using it, but after some googling, I came to the conclusion that this has been enabled by default in the latest alsa-lib release (am I right?)

I'd like to try the suggestion I was given, that is, I'd like to disable the dmix plugin. But I have no clue on how to do that, and I couldn't undertand _anything_ from the zillion files that are installed in /etc/alsa :(

The second issue would be: Assuming the problem is the dmix plugin, can anybody explain to me why it works with stereo sound, and not with 5.1 sound? Can that be fixed tweaking some file?

If not, is there some alsa-voodoo to make the dmix enabling/disabling application specific? (i.e., I'd like to turn it of when I run xine)

TIA,

AFAIK dmix is enabled by default, but not used. To make my laptop use dmix (because it hasn't got hardware mixing) I had to make a file called ~jan/.asoundrc.

Just look at my .asoundrc:

pcm.card0 {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"

}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_perm 666
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
periods 128
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

See how I explicitly have to turn it on?

Hopes it helps.

StarQuake

--
for some how-to's and rpms visit my site    : http://solid.bounceme.net