Re: The newgrp command

Ben Stringer wrote:

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 12:17 +0700, Vidol Loeung wrote:
Dear All:

The newgrp command seems simple to use. However, I could not use it or I did
not know how to use it.

Could someone please explain me what teh problem is? I was logged in as an
ordinary user and type the command:
$ newgrp users
It asked me for the group password and I entered it but it said: "Permission
denied".

Hi Vidol,
You will need to be the root user to run this command.

Try this:

$ su -
# newgrp users

Cheers, Ben

Regards,
Vidol

I don't believe that is strictly true. If the userid is included in several groups, all the user has to do is type in "newgrp <newgrpname>". However, if the user is NOT member of the group, then they are prompted for the group password.

Use the command "id" to find out what your primary group currently is, and the command "groups" to find out what groups your userid is currently a member of.

--R