Re: grub ignores my grub.conf

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 12:49, Joel Uckelman wrote:

> > > As I understand it, this is so that the system can still boot normally
> > > if the first drive in the RAID dies.
> >
> > You are correct, you want to do this so you can boot the second drive in
> > the event the first drive fails. It's too bad GRUB doesn't do this
> > automatically.
>
> Any idea why what I did failed, though? I think my question (about why my
> grub.conf is being ignored) was sidetracked by the discussion of installing
> grub on multiple drives.

The grub.conf that is actually used is /boot/grub/grub.conf.  What you
see in /etc is a symlink so you have an easy time finding it to edit.
There are various ways that the symlink can be broken, so make sure you
really have what you expect under /boot/grub.  Also, depending on
how your system handles drive failure, you may or may not want the
same thing there.  Scsi systems normally move the first working
drive up to /dev/sda (and shift everything else up so non-labeled
partitions may be off).  Ide controllers often hang until you remove
the bad drive and then the system doesn't shift the names unless you
move the working drive to the primary partition.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx