Re: mis-named packages in db?

Claude Jones wrote:
In doing a yum update since Saturday, I keep getting:

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: koffice = 4:1.4.1-0.1.fc4.kde for package: koffice-devel
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: koffice = 4:1.4.1-0.1.fc4.kde is needed by package koffice-devel
[root@viewridgeproductions cj]# rpm -qa | grep koffice
koffice-devel-1.4.1-0.1.fc4.kde
koffice-1.4.1-0.1.fc4.kde

The packages yum is looking for begin with the number '4', but the ones I've got installed begin with a '1' - they are otherwise the same package number - this looks like an error, no? If so, how can I fix it. Before discovering this, I'd already run yum clean all and rpm --rebuild

How would such an error, it that's what it is, occur?

The "4:" is an Epoch number. Epochs are generally used in RPM packages where the upstream version numbering scheme has changed, or if version numbers have been used that rpm thinks are "out of order". Any package with a higher epoch number is seen by rpm as "later" than a package with a lower epoch number no matter what the version/release numbers of the packages are.

Try this:
$ rpm -qa --qf '%{EPOCH}:%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n' koffice\*

It appears that one of your repos has an epoch 4 koffice-devel but no epoch 4 koffice to go with it.

Paul.