Re: SuperMicro 5013

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:

Well, the lack of a workable RAID with Linux, problems with (primary application) Pick reporting illegal activation after cold starting the server and lack of redundant hot swap power supplies has the SuperMicro / Visionman back in the box waiting for an RMA. I think it was designed more as a Windows machine and as an afterthought claimed to run Linux. Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet, cool running machine, hot swap hard power supplies and hard drives with hardware RAID (preferably compatible with RH9 as primary app will not be supported under any release of Fedora Core)?

there is no motherboard I'm aware of with an ata or sata hardware raidcontroller. (I have a couple compaq ml380's with compaq smart array controllers on the motherboard but those are scsi).

The budget allows for only $1,400 US.

serial-ata is not well supported in redhat-9. rhel-3 actually has quite good serial-ata support for something still built on the 2.4kernel.

I like SCSI, all my servers run SCSI, this was my first exposure to SATA. How is the noise level with the ML380? I am currently working with Proliant (old) 5000R, 6400R, 6500R and DL760 units and the noise from the fans is too much to ask someone to have in a small office environment.

--
John Rowan
Rownetco, Inc.