Re: Rehashing My File Permissions Understanding(or lack of it)

Hi Mark,

If both users are members of the nfsshare group, and /home/nfsshare has
it's group set to nfsshare, then both users should have write access to
the file, as you have set read, write and execute for the group (the
second "7").
as I thought too...

For the other user to be able to open the file, they need read
permission to the file, plus read (and perhaps execute - sorry, not
certain here) to the parent directories of the file.
this was the problem...dunno why, but, the parent dir nfsshare had 700 as it's permissions...changing this to 775 solved it

To isolate the issue to just file permissions (not OOWriter), try
running the "file" command against the saved file as the second user,
from a shell.

Eg. $ file /home/nfsshare/file.sxw
This will at least verify that the other user has read access to the
file.
good trick that...

Also, if /home/nfsshare is NFS mounted, check the permissions on the
mount, using the "mount" command.
this does get mounted by a client(s), but, this time I was accessing from the server..

Cheers, Ben
Cheers,

Mark Sargent.