Re: FC4: grub no longer allows windows booting

Mike McCarty wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 08:19 -0700, oldman wrote:

[snip]

----
FIXBOOT isn't supposed to do a thing to the MBR.
FIXMBR would do that but that would be disastrous to grub and booting
Linux
----

Not so. I use the original MBR to boot to the WinXP boot manager,
which does an admirable job of starting GRUB.

I've seen several posts here to the effect that multi-booting
a system is no longer much of a chore, and that things pretty
much work, unlike in the bad old days with WinNT. I haven't
had that experience. I find that Windows pretty much likes
to manage its own boot, and is best left alone doing that.

YMMV

Mike

Agreed M$ is quite a bit more friendly about multibooting but they must stop automatically overwriting MBR (wouldn't hurt to take a page from GRUB and have it chainload IMHO)

Scott