grub ignores my grub.conf

Hi,

I recently set up a software RAID1 and since then haven't been able to get
grub to recognize my grub.conf. Now instead of the splash screen and a list
of boot options, I just get the grub shell prompt on boot.

After setting up the RAID, I did the following from the grub shell:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)

which should have installed grub to the master boot records of both drives.
If I set the root manually at the prompt and point grub to my grub.conf
using the configfile command, my grub.conf is used and booting goes normally
from there.

Any ideas about what's going on here?

--
J.