snmp versus /proc

I've been looking (not very hard) at RRD (round-robin database),
and I notice that several examples displaying things like memory usage
use snmp (more precisely snmpwalk) to gather the information.

I'm just wondering if this still makes sense.
Most of the information seems to be available in /proc ,
and I wondered if it is just conservatism
that leads people to keep on with snmp ?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366