Applications pop-up on current GNOME desktop pane

Until today, if an application window was raised, it would raise
itself on it's existing virtual desktop pane.
Likewise, selecting it from the pager would switch me to that pane.
But as of today, the window jumps to the current pane (very PANEful
behaviour :-)

I have not deliberatly changed any setting. Where should I look to
change back to the previous behaviour?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire