Re: Linux support for Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900 Graphics

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Craig White wrote:
I'm currently running a recent snapshot of the driver for the chipset.

support for it is not very good in a released version of xorg.

i'd appreciate if you could clarify what issues in particular exist?

dma doesn't work on the cdrom without some minor kernel hacking, without it, dvd's are basically unplayable.

Did you have to install a vanilla kernel, or just use hdparm or something in an rc file?

if you want decent opengl performance for games you really need an nvidia or ati chipset with dedicated memory. I find it to be an acceptable laptop for business use, particularly because what I really wanted was a 1920x1200 display.

Well, i just want it to be able to play the games that come w/ Linux distros, like w/ Fedora. Nothing special. Can an FC3/FC4 install handle that with this graphics card?

----
don't know but I would spend the additional $7 and get the WinXP backup
CD disk just in case you want to sell it.

Craig

Thanks all.