GDM Greeter Crashing FC2

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone who's experienced this problem can point me in the right direction. The machine in question is a basic build and has long been stable. After installing the most recent updates I ended up rebooting. When the machine came up I did as I normally do. I SSH'ed in, SU'ed to root and then manually invoked the VNCServer. Within a couple of minutes the server hard locked on me. I did not discover this until a few hours later. What I found was a message in the logs that indicated that "The greeter program appears to be crashing. I will attempt to use a different one." However, from what I can tell, the system was completely unresponsive. None of the services running on the server appeared to be live from outside the box...and no response at the local console.

From what I have been able to dig up there appears to have developed some toxic relationship between VNC, KDE and the Greeter when you SU in SSH. The system has long been stable so it's something that was recently changed. I feel like I am nibbling all around the fix but cannot seem to identify it. What am I missing? I really appreciate any help on this. Nothing that I have turned up via google has helped me pinpoint or determine the fix. Thank you!

--
Eucke