Re: Archiving Data Permanently

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
On Tuesday 16 August 2005 16:53, Robin Laing wrote:

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

Hello,
I'm wondering if people could give me suggestion about the most
economical ways to archive data more permanently.
Having done some stuff with RAR files, I would be tempted to make
archives on DVD by using RAR files.  As these can be rebuilt if planned
properly.

What is the advantage of RAR over the traditional gzip or bzip2 ? Would you care to elaborate? Any website / pointer ? Putting 'rar' in google I get mostly winRAR stuffs.
Thanks.
RDB

If you configure RAR properly it will create a set of files that can be used to rebuild the archive. You can set the amount of rebuild files so if you have a set of files that are corrupted, you can do a repair.

It can split large files into more manageable parts or smaller sizes if there is a corrupted DVD where you lose part of the DVD, you can still recover all of the data.

You could make a tar.gz image of your data and then rar the data into smaller files to be saved. Many options abound.

RAR is not free but shareware http://www.rarlab.com/

More
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR
http://schmidt.devlib.org/file-formats/rar-archive-file-format.html