Re: FC4: grub no longer allows windows booting

Noah wrote:

Anybody on this mail list help me?

okay I went through all the instructions to get a dual boot system fedora and
windows XP. http://shawndisk.com/modules/xoopsf...php?cat_id=2#q7
and now I am finding that the following error occurs from the grub loader when
I choose the windows XP option. what else can I try so I can boot up in
Windows XP?

I have two IDE/ATA Maxtor 300GB drives (6L300R0) and an Asus A7N8X motherboard.

--- snip ---

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 18

--- snip ---

Probably 2 possibilities, 1) Windows was not in the 1st partition of the 1st drive to verify, run (as root) "fdisk -l" this should tell you where your XP lives. if it is the first partition (listed as hda1). If (for example) you find windows in the 1st
partition of your 2nd drive, change the  grub line to root (hd1,0).

2) Possibly you have blown out the NT bootloader by, for instance, installing grub to
/dev/hda1
This is the worse case as the only way I know to get it back is to re-install windows (if you choose to do this you may be able to save your files if you choose not to format and partition your drive). You will then need to boot into rescue linux and setup Grub again.

HTH