Re: OK guys - yum is "too smart"

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:43 -0700, jdow wrote:
From: "Claude Jones" <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Friday 12 August 2005 6:00 pm, jdow wrote:
I am involved, to a slight degree, in testing spamassassin. So I cannot
update spamassassin via yum. It'll break my system badly. I have it
installed via other means.

By "other means" do you mean as a tarball-build, or otherwise not an RPM
package?

So how do I exclude spamassassin from the update and force the update for
evolution which should be perfectly happy with the spamassassin I have
installed?

{^_^}
Did you try this?
yum --exclude=spamassassin update
From "man yum" (if you want more details)  Exclude a specific package by
name
or glob from updates on all repositories.

Yeah, but then I also have to exclude evolution. There should be a way to
force things to be "my way". {^_-}

Doesn't sound easy.  How about this?  Evolution requires spamassassin,
but no particular version.  You could perhaps package your version of
spamassassin as an RPM (assuming it is not already), giving it a higher
version # (or perhaps epoch) than the FC version, and put it in a local
yum repo.  That would make yum happy about your spamassassin but let it
update evolution.  Here's my repo entry for such a setup:

[prs@tabb1 ~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo
[local]
name=Local YUM Repository
baseurl=file:/usr/local/fedora/$releasever/local/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Phil

Another way to solve this problem is to install spamassassin from tarball using checkinstall. This useful utility tracks the steps carried out by "make install" and creates an RPM that installs in exactly the same way.

So checkinstall your spamassassin tarball, then exclude spamassassin updates from yum.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu