Re: ATI Radeon 9800

John Horne wrote:
On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 22:02 -0700, Robert Bell wrote:

This is probably my biggest gripe about running linux. I know its a vendor issue but its irritating none the less. I'm trying to get GL support for my Radeon in FC4. I've tried the ATI driver (8.14.13) but the module doesnt compile. The readme says it supports 2.6.11 but doesnt say if it will break on 2.6.12 (I'm running 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4). THis is what I get in the log for that:

[snipped]

Next I tried the packages from Livna. These seem to install OK but appear to be unstable. Even though my dual head confif is "Big Desktop" it starts up in "Clone" and any attempt to change it locks the system, and requires a hard boot.

Has anyone gotten fglrx drivers running on FC4 in a big desktop configuration? Is NVIDIA any better? I'd hate to scrap a really good (and expensive) card but I am at wits end.

Hi,

I sympathise, I really do! I have used ATI cards (mainly rage 128, pro
ultra etc) for some time with no problems at all. I bought a radeon 9600
pro last week. Installing the livna rpms were no problem and generally
the card works fine. However, the euphoria open-gl screensaver locks the
system solid! :-(

I'll investigate a bit more this weekend, and log the problem with ATI
to see if they have anything to suggest.

I have to go to the local computer shop in a few minutes (for a fan) and
reading this, and the other reply on the list, I am sorely tempted to
ask them for an nvidia card!

John.

Good luck.

I did just that, took a hit on the ATI card when I found on the ATI site that their drivers did not support 3D after a month of trying. nVidia up and running within minutes of purchase using the nVidia drivers, not the rpm.

--
Robin Laing