openldap incompatibility between FC1 and FC4

Hello,

I just upgraded a server from FC1 to FC4 in one swell foop. I reformatted /tmp, /var, /usr, /boot, and /, leaving /home, /opt, and /usr/local alone. All on separate partitions and all with known good tape backups, of course!

openldap authentication is not working.  I've tried two things:

1.  I had a backup.ldif file made earlier with the command
         ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=com \* > backup.ldif
So I tried restoring it with
         ldapadd -x -W -D cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com -f backup.ldif
Which appeared to work with the messages I generally expect.

2. I simply copied all of the files from a backup of /var/lib/ldap on the old setup to the new one.

In both cases, the command
        ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=com \*
returns only one entry, the root of the tree, whereas before it returned every entry in the database. "getent passwd" also only shows the actual entries in /etc/passwd, not the passwd entries in the LDAP database. The passwd line in /etc/nsswitch.conf reads
   passwd: files ldap
as it should.

Have I mentioned that LDAP is one of the hardest, most confusing things in the Linux universe to get and keep working? NIS/NIS+ was a breeze by comparison.

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Walton
n:Walton;Stephen
org:California State University Northridge;Physics and Astronomy
adr:;;18111 Nordhoff St;Northridge;CA;91330-8268;USA
email;internet:stephen.walton@xxxxxxxx
title:Professor
tel;work:818-677-2769
x-mozilla-html:FALSE