Re: Tracking users

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 17:00, AragonX wrote:
> I recently had a problem with some employees and now management wants to
> track just about everything.  There are two things that I really need:
>
> 1)  We use Squirrelmail for both local and remote email.  Now management
> wants to track where all emails are sent from and even to keep a copy of
> all emails for a set period of time.
>
> Is this easy to do and how would I go about it?

Have not done that with squirrelmail but did implement milter-bcc on a
sendmail system.  This copied all messages going out to a designated
mailbox.

Depending on the MTA used this may be easier or more difficult.

Also understand that this only covers email sent through your MTA
server.  If users utilize email clients that bypass your MTA you won't
be able to copy those messages.  You can attempt to block usage of
things like gmail or yahoo mail but users can still use anonymous
proxies to get to such systems.

Make sure you have addressed the HR type issues by having this policy
placed in the company employee guide and passed by legal.  Doing this
may present problems in certain states or countries.

> 2)  We have been having a large problem with spyware.  So, they now want
> to track where users are going on the internet.
>
> We use Samba for file/print sharing.  Is there a way we can log internet
> usage by IP and somehow tie that in to their Samba logon ID?

What you want to do is implement a proxy server such as squid.  You then
setup your company firewall to only allow connections through from the
proxy server.  This will allow you to log all connections going out.  I
know this will allow you to tie the connection back to the IP address of
the client but I am not sure it can be tied to a user name.  Although
you should be able to take the IP and determine which machine which
should tie back to a user.