Re: Sendmail user mail file missing - Again

David Niemi wrote:
On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 10:15 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 10:48 -0400, David Niemi wrote:

On my system which had the problems with the smp kernels after the
installation, when I was finally able to go through the first time boot
screens I created the user "daven", no upper case this time.  At first I
had tried to keep the /home partition, but end up formating it anyway.

Everything else was created fine except for the file in /var/spool/mail.
I'd like to use this account to receive the messages for root from the
different cron jobs through aliases and running "newaliases".

I haven't made any changes to the files in /etc/mail or others.

Other than backing up, removing the user, and copying the files back is
there a way to get the sendmail file?

I don't have any problems with local mail coming to my user.

There are 3 steps involved.

1.  The aliases file must be edited to tell mail to transfer mail for
root to your user.  It must have a line such as:
     root:           user

2.  Then the command "newaliases" must be run to put that in the
database actually used.

3.  The old mail file for root should be transferred to your user. (This
is not necessary but is nice so all of root's mail has been gotten.)
 What I do is make sure my users mail file is empty (has size = 0 ),
then in the /var/spool/mail directory I first look at the ownership of
the users mail file (it should be owner "user" group "mail").  I then do
a "mv root user" followed by a "chown user:mail user"

Thanks for the tips, I tried it an the user still doesn't receive the
messages from the cron jobs via aliases.  Yes, I did verify that the
name to receive the root email is correct and I did run newaliases.

I created another user and for this user the mail file was automatically
created when the user was created.

Any other ideas?

Is there a .procmailrc file in the home directory of the "problem" user? If so, what does it contain?

Paul.