Re: making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Am Fr, den 05.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 17:51:

> > From log list: 192.168.2.1 was 192.168.0.101 before, or where does that
> > IP come from?
> >
> That's actually my housemate's machine. I haven't discussed that machine,
> because it's only using my firewall for routing to the interenet. There's no
> intention to network it locally.

Ok, but hiding information could confuse ;)

> >..........snip.............long nmbd log
> > The above log look proper to me. Is "VRPRODUCTIONS2" the netbios name of
> > the "Linuxbox"? I am missing the "Studybox" name query.
> >
> VRPRODUCTIONS2 is the FC4 box, shortened to less than 15 characters, per your
> previous suggestion.

Yes.

> I meant to mention about the missing StudyPC query... That's an anomaly. If I
> open Konqueror and type in "smb:/", my workgroup appears in the window. If I
> click on that, the three computers appear, Julimobile, StudyPC, and
> VRPRODUCTIONS2; if I click on StudyPC, I get a long pregnant pause, then a
> "Can't connect" error (I'll get the precise text later); if I click on either
> of the other two machines, I get lists of shares that I can browse. On the
> other hand, if I enter "smb://192.168.2.252, then I get a list of the shares
> on StudioPc

Ok, it seems obvious that "studypc" is always resolved as "studypc.com"
which has a public reachable IP.

$ host studypc.com
studypc.com has address 208.254.3.160

> That's a thought. I have to be careful, I'm serving as router for several
> machines, including a housemate who lives downstairs. My wife works at home a
> lot, and manages websites from there. Everything I do has to be done from the
> standpoint of not jeopardizing the network. When I have to take the network
> down, I do it at 3 am, when everyone is sleeping. I suppose I could try what
> you suggest, but, I want to continue in my present mode for awhile. It's a
> useful exercise that's teaching me a lot of things - thanks for all your
> suggestions.

I understand that circumstances. Then at least carefully check your
settings step by step. Maybe write them down to be able to track future
changes in approach to fix what's wrong. Meanwhile I would more focus on
the network (like DNS) than on the Samba / SMB part. Is more left over
than to get "StudyPC" act "normally"?

> Claude Jones

Alexander

Serendipity 18:10:44 up 16:14, 19 users, 0.29, 0.15, 0.10