Re: Newbie: Upgraded FC2 to FC4 2.6.12. Lost lots of applications on Gnome launcher

Clive at Rational wrote:

Hello,

  IS the following expected behaviour?

  In the FC4 Gnome environment I "lost" from the
"panel" (3 examples)

1) No application launcher / main menu (a bit like
Windows "start") - I manually re-instated it.

2) No Internet browser (in fact only Evolution) in the
"internet" option under the Main Menu. I reinstated
Mozilla launcher directly on the panel.
The mozilla launcher has an entry, but it is set to not display.

The entry is under /usr/share/applications/ and is named mozilla.desktop.
To see the launcher in the menu, change NoDisplay=true to NoDisplay=false.
Magically, the launcher will once again be visible under Internet. (Until your next upgrade)

The entry is as below:c at mozilla.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Mozilla Web Browser
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Browse the web
Exec=mozilla %u
Icon=mozilla-icon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true   # (Change to false to see on menu)
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;
Encoding=UTF-8
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.10
Categories=Network;Application;X-Fedora;

3) No "application status" under "System Tools" - to
list the applications that form part of the
distribution - and which are installed. I used this to
select new applications to install. After they
installed, usually the "launch button" appeared under
the Main Menu.

 Maybe these are planned changes - I just know there
is a lot of manual work to re-instate application
launchers on my Gnome desktop - and I don't know what
applications are installed on the machine. This "loss
of buttons" is more than cosmetic. For a user like me
because if the "lost" application launcher had
parameters or switch settings ("--something" or
"%something" else) "within" the application "launch
button", these are now lost in FC4. Bit of a backward
step IMO.

Clive

--
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.
		-- Anonymous