Re: Corrupted modprobe.conf file

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV wrote:

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 21:07 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> After many hours of
> searching I found that I had a corrupted /etc/modprobe.conf file.  I was
> 185 MB in size and full of gibberish.

*wow*. That's disturbing.
If you can repeat this, please file a bug against system-config-network

I wasn't ever able to reproduce it (fortunately or unfortunately), but
I've had the same thing happen to me once using one of the system-config
tools (I *think* it was network).  Each line in modprobe.conf was
repeated over and over again.  Every line in the file ended up like
this:

alias eth0 8139tooalias eth0 8139tooalias eth0 8139tooalias eth0
8139[... and so on for about ten megabytes or so]

Symptom on boot was the same thing as the original poster mentioned -
extremely long boot time.  Opening up modprobe.conf in joe (emacs barfed
on the file) and just deleting the repetitions fixed things.

Maybe an application needs to be setup to handle interfacing with /etc/modprobe.conf by other applications in a more safe way.