Re: Upgrade RedHat 9 to Fedora

At 11:43 PM -0700 8/2/05, sudo Yang wrote:
>What would be the easiest way to upgrade 2000 servers from RedHat 9 to
>Fedora or RedHat Enterprise/CentOS?  Also, 1/2 of these systems have 1
>TB data partition that cannot be destroyed.
>
>Would an upgrade option work via Kickstart?

Holy Cr*p!  Why would you take the risk?  Leave it alone!  You can upgrade
to RHEL over the next few years one machine at a time as each machine is
replaced.

You certainly should make a backup first.  If you can't manage that, you
should not proceed.  Note that a backup is any "safe" /copy/ of the data;
if you plan on destroying the original, the one copy becomes the "original"
and you need another copy for a backup.

I don't know if you have 1000 TB of data, or 1000 systems that share copies
of the same 1 TB of data.  The second case is much easier to handle.  The
first case requires doing each machine separately, taking care that no data
is lost from any machine.  Hopefully you have some form of redundancy in
the system already.