Re: RPM, yum, smart, up2date will not load

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 11:48 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:

> > >Ouch!  I'd try
> >
> > ># rpm -Uvh --force <URL_or_path>/rpm-python-4.4.1-22.i386.rpm
> >
> > >May have to add other rpm-*.rpm packages depending on what got
> > clobbered.
> >
> > >Phil
> >
> > Thanks for the help and sorry about the newbie error.
> > I've tried to force the upgrade of the rpm files but I can't get RPM to
> > even start I get:
> >
> > Rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libbeecrypt.so.6: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such files or directory.

If rpm won't even run, you're pretty well hosed.  A fresh install would
be best, but might try a reinstall if you have things you need to
preserve.

Best bet if there are things on the system you REALLY need would be to
replace the hard drive with a new one, making the old drive secondary.
Install fresh on the new drive, then recover things from the old one.
If you don't have both drives mounted when you do the reinstall, you
will have problems with duplicate labels when the old one is put back
into the system.  That could be worked around with e2label, but a bit
tricky for a confessed newbie.

> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> The DAG/DRIES smart package for FC4 was initially released with
> channels pointing to FC3 repos.  Check the .channel files in
> /etc/smart/channels and verify that the URLs are vaild.

That could explain how things got hosed, but probably won't help to get
them working again.

Good luck,
Phil