SOLVED - Delete rpm repackage files

David G. Miller wrote:
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:18:09 -0500, Craig Goodyear wrote:

Craig Goodyear wrote:

> I have a large number of files in the /var/spool/repackage directory. I > would like to thin out some of the files. Will I cause future problems > by using rm? What is the proper way to remove some of the rollback files?

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look to find more information about maintaining rpm's rollback function. I currently have several versions of the same packages in /var/spool/repackage.

Will using rm to delete select version cause any problems in the rpm database?

No. Just forget about that repackage feature and downgrade manually
if necessary (rpm --oldpackage -Uvh).

Disagree (or you're answering a different question than what was asked). The repackage files should just be rpm files that have had the contents slightly altered; probably to remove something like multiple updates of the same config file. You *should* be able to safely delete the repackaged rpm file since any subsequent update should start over again with just the rpms in the next transaction. Even if I'm wrong, at worst the repackager would need to recreate the previous repackaging.

Not sure what happens if you decide to remove a "repackaged" rpm. The rpm database should only have the contents from after the repackaging. Hopefully, whoever came up with the repackaging idea thought of this too and eveything "just works."

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and deleted some of the files in the /var/spool/repackage directory. Then running "up2date --list-rollbacks" reflected the deletions that I had made. Subsequent system updates using both yum and up2date have worked without any errors. It appears that manually deleting the rpm's in /var/spool/repackage is acceptable.

Craig