Re: YUM - What is happening during update? (FC2 + Legacy)

Mike McCarty wrote:

> That is what I thought. I dunno who is responsible for YUM, but
> somewhat more apropos display messages might be in order.

I agree with this.
Yum is a marvellous program -
in fact it is the best thing about Fedora,
and the main reason I use this distribution -
but the messages shown when running yum could be better.

To start with, it could be seriously misleading
when it says "Finished" half way through,
especially as that is followed by a long period of silence
while the real work is being done.
I'd like the occasional "." during this,
while on the other hand I don't really need to be told
quite so often how it is getting on with downloading headers.

Finally, I find some of the wording at the beginning
slightly obscure - "Setting up repositories" ?
"Reading repository metadata in from local files" ?

Perhaps judicious indenting of the display would help, too?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366