Re: Goodbye Fedora and hello Centos?

Michael A. Peters wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:59 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

All this stuff about Fedora being leading edge is bosh, in my opinion -
the Fedora developers are suffering from delusions of grandeur.
Fedora is just a collection of pretty standard utilities.
A particular device is no more or less likely to work under Fedora
than under any other Linux distribution.

Fedora pushes the envelope - which helps expose issues.
For example, by using gcc4 there is an exposed problem with xorg (or
ggc4 - not sure if that has been determined)

CentOS is for all practical purposes the parts of RHEL that can be
freely redistributed.
It is based upon an older version of Fedora for which kinks have been
(for the most part) worked out.

Hmm. So, is then running a Fedora Core which is a few releases old
about the same as running CentOS? I deem not, but am willing to be
corrected.

I run FC2, with some updates from the Fedora Legacy project. I find
it stable on my hardware. I thought about "upgrading" to FC4, but
have watched the fallout here, and decided to wait a while. FC3 is
still a viable "upgrade", I guess.

Would CentOS be a better deal for one doing contract work at home,
and concerned about possible data loss?

[snip]

Mike