Re: SHRED for EXT3?

Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 14:58, Mike McCarty wrote:

I suspect that if you make a best effort at deleting all project files
and disposing of any backups of these files they are not going to be
concerned with the possible use of forensic recover techniques to get
portions of those files back.

I suspect you are right. I don't foresee any real problem. But I'd
like to comply with the contract in the most comprehensive way
possible. I'm not so concerned with them complaining, as I am with
my own ethical standards. I signed that contract, and I want to be
a man of my word.

That is commendable!

Thanks.

In the future you will probably want to utilize a dedicated drive for
such files.  But then you need to make sure nothing ends up in swap or
temporary storage on another portion of your system if you are trying to
be that strict.

Prolly a good idea.

Even file transfer programs would have to be examined to determine where
they keep files you are actively transferring since most keep a temp
copy somewhere and then copy the whole file to the final destination.

You could over think this until you make yourself crazy.  :)

I wasn't aware of the issues of overwriting files with ext3 until
recently. OTOH, I may later dispose of this machine, and I wouldn't
want their information falling into other people's hands. I don't
want to have to remember to do something extreme a few years later.
I'd like to just wipe the files, and be done with it. Overwriting
swap is probably a good idea, and likely easy to do. Hmm. Maybe not.
Does the Fedora rescue CD automatically mount a swap partition if
it finds it? Knoppix does. Maybe there is a way to tell Knoppix
not to. I'll have to investigate that.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike