Re: Does Eclipse 3.1 on FC4 include WTP and/or WST?

* Klaasjan Brand <klaasjan@xxxxxxxxx> [2005-07-23 05:58]:
> I'll have a look when WTP 0.7 (the official 3.1 supporting version) is
> release next week.

Awesome!  Let me know if you need any help.

> How's the FC4 update to Eclipse 3.1 coming along?

Not bad.  We're grinding through something that changed with the CVS code
(or underlying stuff) that causes large project checkouts to hang.  Once
that's sorted out and we've gotten the necessary gcc update, we'll be good
to go.  Sorry it's taken so long.

> Does that mean there are no "hacks" in the Eclipse packages to make it
> run on gcj? (there are a lot of patches in de Eclipse SRPM)

There are very few source modifications.  Without having the specfile in
front of me, I can't give hard numbers, but I think we're down to very few
if any patches for libgcj-specific issues.

> Well, the Eclipse guys say so:
> http://eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#users_3
> Maybe you could try to get them to mention gcj as a runtime alternative?

Yeah, with time we'll get there.  FC4 is the first wide-scale deployment on
a free runtime (well, that I know of).  Things are coming along very well
IMO, though.

> > some bugs in libgcj for sure, it's come a long way and the speed is not
> > that much worse.  Plus, this is gcc 4.0.x which contains the first release
> > of gcj's new Binary Compatible ABI.  This release was more concerned with
> > correctness than speed optimizations.  I assure you that things will only
> > get better from here :)
>
> I understand it's slower and it will get better, but for users not
> interested in testing the gcj based version it's hard to justify not
> running it on a JVM that runs about twice as fast.

Overall I don't think I've seen behaviour that's twice as fast, but there
are definitely areas we are slower than Sun's stuff.

> (based on my totally unscientific measurements of clocking startup time)

Yeah, startup is an area in which we could improve.  I really need to spend
some time and do some profiling to get some hard data for the gcj guys.

> But thanks for the assurance ;) - I'm really impressed with the FC4
> Java stack and hoping to see gcj becoming a good alternative to the
> Sun JDK.

Great :)  Thanks for the support.

Andrew