Re: Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless

> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:28:25 -0400
> From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Thanks for your email, Lloyd. I plan to take a look at your
> information at LinuxQuestions.org.
>
> I actually tried to use two wireless modems with ndiswrapper, but
> I've been unsuccessful. I had thought that this was related to the
>
> fact that mimo is relatively new. I've also downloaded the Linuxant
>
> kernels and have recompiled my own, but to no avail.
>
> As I write from my Mac :), I'm currently installing Suse 9.3 in a
> desperate attempt to run the wireless modem. If it doesn't work,
> I'll
> do what you suggested: install FC4, and immediately install the
> Linuxant kernels. Suse looks good, but it appears their focus is on
>
> KDE, rather the Gnome. I really like what Fedora has done with
> Gnome.
>
> Thanks again.
> Paul

With FC3, and previous versions, I found ndiswrapper to work with all
of them.

Also the "DriverLoader" program from Linuxant seems to work with
everything, but you have to pay about $20 to switch cards with it. On
the flip side, the same software will work with the same card in an
unlimited number of computers. The "Driverloader" software is tied to
the MAC address of your card.

As far as Ndiswrapper goes, compile a new version of it for each new
kernel. Un-install the previous version before installing the new
Ndiswrapper for a new kernel. Use the kernels from Linuxant. Get the
kernels for your processor. Linux has several different versions for
the various processors. Make sure that you are getting the right one.
Kernels from Fedora will not work!!!! Be sure to un-install the MS
card drivers for the wifi card before installing them again. They
have to be re-installed each time Ndiswrapper is re-compiled.

(Linuxant has taken the guesswork out of which program and kernal
with an online program that will select the proper kernel and
driverloader program for your system. You get a free 30 days, I
think. You might want to try that 1st. I really recommend these
guys.)

Ndiswrapper works with just about all cards on any version of fedora
on or before FC3. (I may someday get it to work with FC4....)

Lloyd Hayes

Lloyd Hayes

Web Journal:  http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/
Web Site:     http://talkingstaff.bravehost.com