Re: X.Org on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (Trident Cyberblade/XP)

Alexander Apprich wrote:
Hi Edward,

Edward Dekkers wrote:

Alexander Apprich wrote:

Hi Edward,

Edward Dekkers wrote:

Anybody have this combination working?

I've referred to Linux On Laptops, and done a general google search, but nothing has worked for me.

With the initial detected settings, I simply get a white screen, and switching back to text console has a corrupted screen.

With vga=791 and vesa settings I've acquired from my fruitless searches, I get a total notebook re-boot after the screen blanks.

Where do I look next to get Fedora Core 4 to work in graphics mode on this aging laptop?

according to the Xorg documentation
http://x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/trident.4.html the Trident Cyberblade/XP is
supported.

Regards,
Ed.

P.S. It may be aging, but it booted up pretty fast...

Alex

Thanks Alex, yes, I do know that. The X.Org site was implied when I said I'd scoured the net.

In short - I should work but doesn't - has anybody got a working configuration like this?

I should also mention I had to do a text install. Graphics did not work on install either.

Could you send the output of X -probeonly and also your xorg.conf
Have you tried configuring X using system-config-display --reconfig

Regards,
Ed.

Alex

Is there any way to capture the result of X -probeonly? I tried:

X -probeonly > /home/edward/Xprobeonly.txt

But the file was empty.

I've tried using system-config-display --reconfig, with as a result that the screen is white again. The cursor appears (and moves when I move the mouse) for a few seconds then disappears. After that I get just whiteness. Switching to text console is completely corrupted.

The best results so far have been vesa mode - a yummy 640x480 mode in 16 bit depth.

I won't mention that Windows works perfectly well in 1024x768 with 16 bit colour.

Basically - no matter what I do - using the trident driver has given no result whatsoever.

Only playing with vesa modes has given me something so far - but I don't have to mention 640x480 is unusable nowadays.

This is the xorg.conf I have attached.

Seems to me the version of this Trident in the notebook is not compatible with the xorg version.

There's plenty of mention of these problems being eradicated when XFree86 4.20 came along reading back on the net when this was a common problem.

Should I go back to XFree86? If so is this an easy thing or is everything now tightly integrated in x.org?

Regards,
Ed.
# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Toshiba TOS5082"
	DisplaySize  290	220
	HorizSync    31.0 - 48.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
#	Driver      "trident"
	Driver	    "vesa"
#	Driver	    "vga"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "Trident CyberBladeXP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     16
#	DefaultDepth	 8
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
#		Depth	  8
		Modes    "640x480"
	EndSubSection
#	SubSection "Display"
#		Depth	16
#		Modes	"640x480"
#		Viewport	0 0
#	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Group        0
	Mode         0666
EndSection

begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749